Youth Development: Train-to-Train 1 (YD: T2T 1) – Cross-Country and Biathlon
The focus with YD is to continue developing overall fitness and ski specific skills in the autumn dryland and winter snow months. YD is a comprehensive ski program that aims to provide athletes will all aspects of cross-country skiing: classic, skate, touring, off-trail, racing, and ski playgrounds. Other activities are planned throughout the season to develop teamwork skills and a positive team spirit. YD provides the opportunity for skiers to develop ski-racing skills, both physical and cognitive. Skiers can participate in local races and loppets, Alberta Cup (AB Cup) races, and the Alberta Youth Championships (AYC). 2018 also offers the opportunity for eligible skiers to race at the Alberta Winter Games.
- The YD program is for those who have finished the TA (or equivalent) ski program, or can demonstrate equivalent ability in classic and skate skiing.
- Suggested Age Range: 12+ years
Youth Development Thursdays (YD+) – Train to Train 2 (T2T 2)
T2T is part of Cross Country Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development Plan. In the T2T stage of development, athletes will work on increasing endurance, speed, balance, and strength while further developing ski specific skills, both physical and mental.
The YD+ program is for skiers who want more focus on competition and/or looking for additional training.
- YD skiers who are already registered in the Youth Development program on Tuesday and/or Saturday.
- YD skiers who want to increase their frequency and intensity of training.
September 4, 2018 –March 23, 2019
- YD Tuesdays 6:30 PM – 8 PM
- YD Saturdays 9-11 am, following November 11, 2017 practice will move to 10am-12pm
- YD+ Thursdays 6:30 PM – 8 PM
Please note: sessions are run at the same time as other ENSC training groups for the convenience of families.
- Coaching by certified and experienced coaches
- Dryland and on-snow sessions
- Planned training sessions based on the Cross Country Canada (CCC) Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) model
- Team bonding events (e.g. Scare “O” orienteering, year-end celebration)
- Coach support at events (loppets and races)
- Ski Camp during Christmas Break
- ENSC Warm-up Jacket and toque
- $220 1 x week *For Biathletes only
- $430 2 x week Tuesday AND Saturday
- $630 3 x week Tuesday AND Saturday plus YD Thursdays
- Plus ENSC Club Membership (Click HERE for link to Membership benefits)
NOTE: The following are NOT included
- Wax fees for racing are NOT included in registration fees calculated and charged separately. It is the expectation that parents help wax skis for races/events.
- The CCA Jasper Super Camp on September 8-10, 2017 and the CCA Lake Louise Camp on November 10-12, 2017 are not included in the YD fees.
- Dryland locations will vary: Hawrelak Park, Goldbar, Edmonton Ski Club
- On-snow @ Goldbar. We can now expect a longer snow season with snowmaking capabilities at Goldbar!
*Last minute changes to locations and training plans can occur due to weather. Please keep up to date with training information on TEAM SNAP.
- Boots: combi or combination (skate and classic) boots are acceptable,
- Skis: 1 pair of classic skis, 1 pair of skate skis, but Combi skis are not suitable, as we sometimes work on both ski techniques in the same session.
- Poles: 1 pair of classic length poles, 1 pair of skate length poles
- Ski striding poles for dryland training (7-10 cm shorter than your classic poles)
- Basic Wax Kit. Click HERE for the content of the Basic Wax Kit
- “Rock” skis are not mandatory but can be useful for early and late season training.
- Rental of roller skis for dryland training is available through ENSC and is NOT included in registration fees.