Archives >

Training This Week: May 7th to May 13th

Week #2 of 2017-18

Coming Up:

  • Week #2 of 2-week Intro to Training Phase

Monday May 7:

  • Biathlon: Training at the Range
    • Stay Tuned

Tuesday May 8:

  • Who: Summer Training Athletes
  • Where: Hawrelak Park (Far parking Lot)
  • When: 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
  • What: 
    •  Coach Driven  – Intro to Training (2 weeks)
  • Technique: Running – so bring running shoes!

Wednesday May 9:

  • Biathlon: At the Range
  • XC – Suggested Training LSD
    • 1 to 1.5 hrs slow, easy run or bike

Thursday May 10:

  • Who: Year Round Athletes in the Summer Program 
  • Where: Hawrelak Park (Far parking Lot)
  • When: 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
  • What: 
    •  “Natural Strength”, Core, and “Base Training”
  • Technique: Run (on foot)

Friday May 11:

  • Recovery Day
    • Easy run/walk/ski, some core, and light stretching.

Saturday May 12: Designing a Yearly Training Plan (YTP) Part 2

  • Who: Summer Program
  • Where: Goldbar
  • When: 9:00 am to 11:00 am
  • Technique: Running (on foot)
  • What: Basics of the YTP
    • Some Theory and indoor session – bring a binder and a writing instrument (pen or pencil)
      • Will cover Training Log, Training Zones, Use of HR Monitor, and RPE
      • Will discuss routines, habits, and sleep and nutritional needs of successful athletes
      • Will reinforce the 80-20 principle of training
    • Continue with the 2 week intro-to-training phase

Sunday May 6:

  • Self directed training. Long Slow Distance (LSD)

Biathlon Schedule – May

Follow this link for the May Biathlon schedule 

Green & Gold Sport System, AIM Program

The AIM Program is an innovative approach to training that is specifically designed to help athletes build a strong general athletic foundation to support their sport-specific pursuits.

By integrating physical and mental training, the AIM Program represents an efficient and effective way to build this foundation over time. We began by identifying the most important fundamental and advanced skills that exist in both of these areas.

See more at:
At the FUNdamentals stage (ages 6-8 years), it is essential for young athletes to begin to build the fundamental movement skills that underpin all sports and contribute to athleticism, namely running, jumping, throwing, catching, kicking, striking, agility, balance, coordination, and speed. This is accomplished through a carefully designed combination of sports experiences that provide an ideal blend of fun, fitness, and learning. At the Learn-to-Train stage (ages 9-11), young athletes need to improve and strengthen the fundamental movement skills that underpin all sports and contribute to athleticism. As a result, approximately 75% of the physical activities will be dedicated to movement training, and the remaining 25% to a stage-appropriate approach to strength, endurance, and flexibility. At the Train-to-Train stage (ages 12-14), young athletes need a balance between advanced movement skills training and sport conditioning. As a result, approximately 50% of the physical activities in this AIM Program will be dedicated to the ABC’s of athleticism (i.e. agility, balance, coordination, and speed). The other 50% will be focused on the proper techniques for Olympic lifts, squats, presses, pulls, and jumps, and on building strength, power, endurance, and flexibility. At the Train-to-Compete stage (ages 15-17), athletes need a heavier emphasis on sport conditioning, while still spending enough time on advanced movement skills training. With this in mind, approximately 75% of the physical activities in

See more at:

Sport Perfomance & Iron

Iron deficiency is frequent among athletes. All types of iron deficiency may affect physical performance and should be treated. The main mechanisms by which sport leads to iron deficiency are increased iron demand, elevated iron loss and blockage of iron absorption due to hepcidin bursts. More