Adult and Masters
Name has been Changed:
Please note that we have changed the name of our Adult programs. Both Adult Racing (AR) and Adult Development (AD) now come under one name and are known as Adult and Masters programs.
We did this based on feedback from the Adult groups and the overwhelming success of last year’s adult programs.
What is Adult and Masters?
The aim of the Adult and Masters program is to make you a better all-around skier. You will have the opportunity to develop your classic and skate techniques while improving your endurance, strength, balance, and speed on skis. Both during the dryland portion and on-snow portion, fitness and technique will be emphasized. Although the training is not aimed at racing per se, the training will prepare you for racing should this be of interest, such as local races and loppets, or Alberta Cups or even Westerns.
The Adult and Masters program is for both Adults (18+) and Masters (any skier over 30 years of age).
Race Add On:
For those adults who are race-focused, you can sign up for the Competitive Adult On-Add option. This race-focused option includes enhanced coaching that consists of an individualized Yearly Training Plan (YTP), increased specific technique support and regular feedback from your coaches (including the Head Coach), as well as enhanced waxing and coach support at races.
Under the guidance of Nordic Canada certified and trained coaches (who are present at every session), this program is aimed at those who are excited to improve, welcome a little hard work, and are truly serious about having fun.
Participants will be divided into subgroups based on skill and fitness. Skiers will run, stride, and do general strength training during dryland sessions. On-snow sessions may include skiing continuously up to 1.5 hrs. A general training plan will be provided and additional training outside formal ENSC sessions is encouraged. Participants will identify the group’s focus-races or events for the season. Coach support will be provided for key loppets and races.
- Adults with basic to intermediate classic AND skate skiing abilities
- Adults need to have a basic to intermediate level of aerobic fitness.
First Saturday after Labour Day – March (weather permitting).
There is a one, two and three day option.
- Tuesdays 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
- Thursday 6:30 pm – 8pm pm
- Saturdays 10am – 12 pm
Please note: sessions are run at the same time as other ENSC training groups for the convenience of families.
- Dryland locations will vary: Hawrelak Park, Gold Bar Park, and Gallagher Park.
- On-snow sessions take place on Edmonton Nordic Ski Club groomed trails at Gold Bar, Capilano & Goldstick Park. We can now expect a longer snow season with Edmonton Nordic Ski Club snow making infrastructure at Gold Bar Park!
*Last minute changes to locations and training plans can occur due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Please keep up to date with training information on the ENSC Blog.
- $455 – 1 x week
- $775 – 2 x week
- $1100 – 3 x week
- Plus ENSC Club Membership
- $150 – Race add on (optional)
- Training sessions based on an Annual Training Plan (ATP)
- General weekly and daily training plans
- Coached training sessions
- Coach support at key events
- Wax fees
- Edmonton Nordic Ski Club T-shirt
- Boots: combi or combination (skate and classic) boots are acceptable
- Skis: 1 pair of classic skis, 1 pair of skate skis, but Combi skis are not suitable, as we sometimes work on both ski techniques in the same session.
- Poles: 1 pair of classic length poles, 1 pair of skate length poles
- Ski striding poles for dryland training (7-10 cm shorter than your classic poles)
- Rental of roller skis for dryland training is available through ENSC and is NOT included in registration fees.
- Basic Wax Kit
- “Rock” skis are recommended for early and late season training.
- Clothing available to purchase online through our club website: https://www.edmontonnordic.ca/shop/